March 30, 2008

What is your kWh usage?


So, now that I'm feeling better, I finally decided to tackle the pile of articles that have been awaiting review on my overburdened desk. Several of them were references to growing plants or ideas for container gardening that ended up being scanned and filed for future reference, especially since it's the wrong time of year or is still too cold to tackle those projects. (If I left the pages laying around, it would once again become buried and add to clutter.)

However, other articles needed more indepth consideration, one of which is "8 Easy Projects for Instant Energy Savings". Within the first three paragraphs of the article I started to become worried. The author was describing his family's mission to reduce their electricity usage from 93,000 kWh/year to 38,000 or less. Knowing my house isn't very energy efficient, I immediately made a notation on a notebook so I would remember to check my energy usage statement for my own kWh/year.
Continuing with the article, I started reviewing the author's projects:
1. Manage computer power usage - Okay, okay, I do leave my computer on continuously for most days, but I use hibernation mode if it's been inactive so I don't feel that is a big problem. I also only have one peripheral that I tend to forget to turn off -- the printer. I'll make a mental note to try to correct that. The article recommended a gadget called a Mini Power Minder that turns off peripherals for you when the computer enters hibernation mode, but I think I can handle one peripheral without resorting to yet another gadget that has to be plugged in and occupies space.
2. Install compact fluorescent light bulbs - Check! As my old light bulbs burn out, I'm replacing them with the CFLs. My only hesitation on that is the 3-way CFL bulb because I've discovered that it has a durance flaw, causing it to flicker like a strobe light. However, I'm also attempting to use that particular floor lamp less and less, so it may become a moot point. One note though -- the CFLs that resemble daylight truly do blind you silly in the wee hours when you suddenly turn on the light. I've learned to first start with the carport light and once I've become adjusted to that CFL's increasing brightness, THEN I turn on the kitchen "daylight" CFLs. Next time I'll opt for the other ones. :)
3. Seal and insulate heating ducts - Check! Mine are mostly already done. Plus, I don't have any ducts in the attic that would require additional insulation.
4. Reduce air leaks - This is a biggie for me. My windows are crap and leak heat pretty badly. They're on my list for a future replacement project but it'll be several years before that happens. I've done my best with other leaks. Last year I caulked around the windows and used expanding foam to fill in larger openings near where the addition has settled away from the original house. My biggest heat loss, though, is the addition. Hopefully next year (or maybe in the fall), I can start tearing down the plaster and lathe so I can put new insulation in the walls. The old insulation has settled to the lower portion of the walls and so the upper portion has no insulation in it. Neither is there insulation in the roof above the addition, which we discovered during last year's reshingling project. Unfortunately I had ran out of funds so getting insulation in there wasn't an option. I'm hoping, maybe foolishly, that I can get some sprayed into that open space via the sides of the addition (where we could create an opening into the roof area). We'll see though.
5. Vent Dryer Inside During Winter - This just sounds unappealing and only saves $63/year.
6. Insulate windows with bubble wrap - Bubble wrap?? That's...interesting. The author says it saves about $75/year.
7. Eliminate phantom electrical loads - In normal english, what do we need to unplug from the outlet so it doesn't use energy when turned off? Examples, cell phone chargers, anything with a clock (which is about everything now), etc. I try to do this diligently but there are some things that can't be helped - the stereo, coffeepot, weather alarm, range, vcr, yadda yadda.
8. Use electric mattress pads - check!! I bought one last year because the electric blanket I had was old and made funny crackling noises. Plus, it didn't really work well for keeping you warm. I only left the heat on until the initial chill was taken off. After that my down comforter and the heat from the dogs next to me took care of most of the winter chill.
Knowing that I already did several of these items made me feel better but I still was dreading seeing the number of kWh I use in a year. I pulled up my energy statement and looked at my usage history, which from my energy company was actually an 18-month total......13,440 kWh. Alright! What a relief! I figured out my year usage and came up with about 9,000 kWh.
And I was worried?? Now I have to wonder what kind of house and lifestyle the author has to have used 93,000 kWh in a year. That's a lot!!
Anyhow, although I do have energy problems that need fixing, now I don't have to be as concerned about my carbon footprint on the world because there are far more serious offenders out there!

No comments: