August 17, 2004

now that's a lot of honey...

I get the CNN news digest every morning at work.  Most of the stories I skip over but there are those few that I have to read because they are just bizarre.  There is no other word for them.  Take today's digest as an example.  Headline:  "Rock-throwing kids anger 120,000 bees"  I'm thinking they vandalized a bee farm.  NOPE, wrong answer!  In Los Angeles, some apartment building super is getting a well-deserved lesson in embarrassment.  If your apartment building has a bee hive in the wall, wouldn't you hope that your super would have had them disposed of as soon as he/she saw the hive being built?  Not this super.  The residents of the apartment building were held hostage after kids riled 120,000 bees by throwing rocks at the hive.  When officials went in to investigate, they discovered a quarter-ton honeycomb within the apartment wall, which they then discovered was a threat to the structural integrity of the building.  Can you imagine how riled the bees would have been in the building had collapsed?  I think if I were the residents, I'd be thanking the children for bringing the problem to attention of officials.  I also hope that's one super who is now unemployed!

No comments: