November 08, 2004

Ode to the seasons

Put forth thy leaf, thou lofty plane,
East wind and frost are safely gone;
With zephyr mild and balmy rain
The summer comes serenely on;
Eart, air, and sun and skies combine
To promise all that's kind and fair; --
But though, O human heart of mine,
Be still, contain thyself, and bear.

December days were brief and chill,
The winds of March were wild and drear,
And, nearing and receding still,
Spring never would, we though, be here.
The leaves that burst, the suns that shine,
had, not the less, their certain date; --
And thou, O human heart of mine,
Be still, refrain thyself, and wait.

~Arthur Hugh Clough

A very cool poem!

3 comments:

Ed said...

I was really impressed with your poem until I reached the end and saw that you hadn't wrote it. But it is still a very cool poem.

MikeyMike said...

Let's give her some credit... at least she understood it. I'm lousy with poetry. All I got from this was that the author was passionate about the seasons. That's about it. I saw somethin' about different months and somethin' about leaves.

I really don't get it, myself, but I think it's 'cause my brain has this little gate with a bouncer and a list. The bouncer asks the literature, "Are you poetry?"

The literature of course responds with, "Yes, I am, stranger, and what's your name?"

To which the bouncer promptly responds, "No admittance."

Sonya said...

Oh no....this is WAY outta my league. All those "thous" and etc confuse the words and I find myself having to reread it several times just to get the meaning of everything. LOL

No admittance? LOL