June 20, 2008

Waiting for the waters to recede...

So at the same time as Becky was dealing with the Cedar River in Cedar Rapids and I was being told to NOT report to work due to the Iowa River in Iowa City, my parents had already evacuated their home along the Des Moines River near Keosauqua. They're currently bumming at my brother's place while waiting for the water to recede. They drive by and check the level from the end of the elevated driveway but don't anticipate being able to get back into the house until next week sometime. Fortunately it doesn't appear as if the water entered the 1st floor. If the Des Moines had exceeded 1993 levels, they would have a lot more damage, but it actually remained lower than the 1993 flood levels. I jokingly asked my mother if they'll be raising the house another few feet, to which she responded with an adamant "yes".

My parents are lucky. Having a home along river means special construction to allow for some level of flooding so they don't have a "basement". There is an area under the house where the furnace is kept so that will need to be checked and their central air unit may need to be checked as well. Other than that, their garden is ruined. Everything else was removed or moved to high ground. Fortunately for them, I have six more tomato plants to get in the ground so at least I can keep them supplied with tomatoes this summer. I'm a little bummed at being denied zucchini (their garden) but if I get to feeling REAL amibitious, maybe I'll rent a tiller and make room for a zucchini plant in my yard as well. It's unlikely but I'll allow for the possibility. :)

1 comment:

Ed said...

My wife was off all last week too. I haven't been up to C.R. to see the damage mostly because I didn't want to be in the way. Those folks have a lot of cleaning up to do from the sounds of your last post.