August 24, 2004

autumn...

I love those moments during the year when I step outside, take a deep breath, and feel such contentment that I'm annoyingly happy all day. I'm a fairly optimistic and happy person anyway, but those special days are a real treat. For example, I love brisk mornings in October, when the grass is covered with dew and there's a bite in the air that you can almost taste. You imagine you can smell the earth preparing to hibernate for winter, as leaves change color, drop to the ground and start to decay. This time of year is synonymous with harvest time and marching band parades to me. I get very strong cravings to go on hay rides, hang out in flannel shirts, bake pumpkin pie, and eat funnel cakes. Halloween is just the icing on the cake. Maybe this year I'll actually get around to making a scarecrow to sit on the front porch and can some pumpkin for pies. It's not just a time of year for me...it's a warm and fuzzy feeling that reminds me of home.

No comments: