April 06, 2008

1) The scam in eco-fashion & 2) repurposing materials


Eco-tidbits: I found it interesting to learn while reading my September/October 2007 issue of E Magazine that the scam marketing trends you often find in grocery stores (organic, etc) is also present in the clothing industry. While society cries foul about sweatshop-produced clothing and ecologically concious citizens start promoting eco-friendly lines of fashion, the great secret behind it all is that the source of cotton for all textiles is the same and is usually picked by child labor. Even organically grown cotton isn't safe from that stigma! Kinda puts a whole new light on Walmart clothing, eh? Why pay more for a label of eco-friendly when the only difference in the clothing is how they're manufactured??
On another issue, I find some eco-artists' efforts to reuse materials to be very admirable. There is a whole new industry cropping up specializing in using old vinyl billboard signs as material for sturdy tote bags or other interesting objects. I've been on the lookout for some really sweet looking totes to add to my grocery outings and I think I'll be going with some repurposed ones sold online. I may be paying $20 for a tote, but it'll last a long time and hold a lot of groceries without adding to my unwanted pile of plastic sacks! However, I draw the line at juice-box purses. Some things are just too damn ugly!!

No comments: