May 09, 2008

Rebel by blood...Part I

Last week I attended funeral services for a great-uncle that had passed away. I've never been very close to Uncle Dean so when word of his death reached me, I reacted in a rather bizarre way -- profanity. It's not that I'm unsympathetic about his death and the family's grief...the profanity erupted for a purely selfish reason. I was planning to send that uncle a request for information about an ancestor (he tracked family genealogy) but was too late. Apparently he'd been pretty sick recently so, even if I had managed to get a request to him, he wouldn't have been able to assist me.

I decided that the universe was being contrary in my quest for answers...

When I was a teenager, Uncle Dean sent me information on some of our ancestors. Being too busy in high school and college to really look at the information, it got tucked away into my filing cabinet for another day. It was only recently that I unearthed the pages and was dutifully impressed with the information they contained. Uncle Dean had tracked his family name back to early-1600's England. Poring over the pages, there were some items that jumped out to me...Revolutionary war....NC militia...Indian wars...Union soldier... Cool!! I noticed that a few of my ancestors had DAR numbers (Daughters of the American Revolution). I started smiling and immediately called up an old friend to inquire about her application status as a member of DAR. She was still struggling to show proof of lineage to a member of the family who served in the Revolution. I told her about my discovery and of course, in not so many words..."I sucked". Having the DAR numbers for those ancestors who served in the American Revolution would make an application for membership in DAR much easier than for my friend. She mentioned another organization called DAC (Daughters of American Colonists) that I might look into. This is the reason I needed to contact Uncle Dean. I had notes that an ancestor was in the militia prior to the Revolution (a requirement for membership in DAC), but I couldn't find proof with online sources and thought that Uncle Dean might have something he could copy for me.

Of course, all of this was on hold since he passed away within a month of my discovery. Despite my disappointment, I joined my mother and grandmother for the planned road trip to Lincoln, Nebraska (more about that later) and IF an opportunity came up to inquire about Dean's work in genealogy, I would consider mentioning my interest as well and see where it went. Fortunately for me, a second cousin (one of Dean's sons) had picked up the genealogy work bug and we had some good times talking ancestry. To be continued....

3 comments:

Ed said...

I have a subscription to Ancestry.com which really helped me get a lot of information on my ancestors. I'm now in the process of transferring all that information to my offline database and files before my account expires.

If you don't have access to that, you can always drop me an email with the information you know and I can run it through their billions of records and see what I can find.

Genealogy is certainly addicting! I have started routing trips by various graveyards just to take pictures of tombstones.

MikeyMike said...

I haven't actually been bitten by the geneology bug, but I can definitely feel it nibbling...I ran into a printout of my family tree, given to me when I was in highschool; it's missing a lot of information, and I'm extremely curious about doing the research to fill-in those missing spaces. It was one of my great aunts that gave me the printout...she was the geneology buff in the family...but to be honest I'm not sure if she's still around, and I'm not sure what happened to all her research after. I'll need to make a note to ask about that when attending the family reunion in Texas this summer.

MikeyMike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.